Monday, April 10, 2006

Idealism vs Realism

She and I were sitting on the bench in the evening in the campus garden. She was wearing light green lawn suit. Yes summer has arrived here. The gentle breeze of river Indus touching her hair. She looked so fresh. I was seated beside her on the bench. Few of her books were placed between us. After greeting one another through eyes she spoke.
She: Now you tell me why are you so much against being idealist?
I: It’s because Idealist ignores reality and search for something that does not exist. I am against idealism because it forgets to see the beauty in reality.
She: Beauty? Where is the beauty? It’s an ugly world…so much of hatred, killings, war …all the misfortunes…. it is the idealism that leads us towards correcting all the wrongs.
I: Idealists try to find something that does not exist, something that cannot exist…idealists dream for a world that is impossible to built because by default we human beings have been fighting each other since the start of history and we will continue to do so ever. For me the ideal world is the existing world…the present is ideal because out of infinite possibilities this present has emerged. The world could have been anything…but no …the actions of nature and billion of other factors have contributed to the emergence of this present world.powerful forces have shaped it.this is ideal,,,see you are ideal…because nature has selected you to come into existence....the selection of nature is ideal..now you may want your height different or you may not be satisfied with any of your feature but for me whatever exists is ideal….is perfect.The color of your eyes is the color no one has…to have exactly the same color …no not possible
She: now does it mean nothing needs to be improved…..we just let ourselves resigned to what ever comes our way in the life……no ..I want to build my own world…make this world better. and I damn care if I possess the unique color of eyes or not. …it doesn’t matter to me ..what matters is what have I contributed to making this world a better place…..a place where every person has the opportunity to reach self actulization..to be in the ideal state of his or her being……….I cannot agree to your viewpoint.
I: we are constantly in a flux..everything is changing..the thoughts flowing in your mind are having an impact on all the surroundings…..right here..in the city beside river Indus……our talk will have an impact on tomorrow, something will be changed….may be for better ….but still there will be idealists always running for better………exhausting themselves in the persuit of perfection...and missing the momemts that are no less ideal…..like this evening……under the clear blue sky..amidst…roses…., take a deep breath and you will inhale all the freshness…..as I am doing……….and the air I breath comes after touching roses, river and you..and makes my soul dance..this is ideal for me..my eyes are attuned to beauty……
She: hey…..you call me idealist……infact you are idealist……..only looking at what you want to look at……..but that’s a very unrealistic and limited way of looking at things.
I: yeah you may call me an ideal realist.
She: or a real idealist..
I: well I just want to see your pursuing dreams while appreciating what is best around you
She: I know that…………looking at me
I: (smiling) your eyes………really ideal
We laughed and departed. :

6 comments:

shampoo suicide said...

I have always hated the 'vs' part. I think idealism and realism go hand in hand. One is complementary to the other. I think we all go into things being idealistic, but once we get there we need to be realistic. Wanting to change the society for the better, is of course an 'idealistic vision', but at the same time you need a good amount of realism. The world cannot be changed overnight, and sometimes other things play in, other than one's wishes.

Btw really sweet post - I feel fluffy :).

Sam!! said...

Really a nice post u placed there.

Well I do agree with the above posted comment by subhana that both goes hand in hand. I do dream n idealise to bring changes in life, society, country, etc but keeping in mind all the actuall facts.

Thnx for the comments at my blog.

Hasan Mubarak said...

I enjoyed the 'real idealist' turn...

Dawn said...

Awesome briefing...!
Well...I hv seen some of the idealist on reality...
So it depends ...
Good post

Cheers

Khawab said...

yeh really nice peace....
and today i actually read this big post in jst one sitin :P

Masood Ahmed said...

To All of You ( Samrina, Subhana, Hassan, Khwab and Dawn). Thanks for your comments.