Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Cynicism must not prevail

It was my last lecture of the course in an MBA class. As has always been the case I urged the students to be genuine, creative and forward looking. One of the students quipped that all our strategies and analysis would be of no use because in Pakistani environment an illiterate boss would scuttle our ideas and demand blind compliance of his orders. The mood of the class changed as if all their studies are in waste and they cannot make any real difference through their efforts once they are out in the field. I vehemently opposed the belief that out there in the practical life they would face ogres. Subscribing to the idea of cynicism tantamounts to accepting the role of education and educational institutions as ineffective and by the same token it would mean that my standing as a teacher has no impact on the outside world.I tried to defuse despair by injecting hope among all the students and exhorted that no matter what circumstances you face keep the negative thoughts away and concentrate on delivering the best, certainly, you can and will make a difference. The cynicism must not prevail because it would paralyze your limbs and mind and leave you frustrated. You must give yourself a full chance in life by continual improvement in your education and skills. Do not succumb to cynicism because if you succumb I would lose my pride as a teacher. I have seen success and the seed of success is born in the mind, here right here in you.

2 comments:

Ali Ambrosio said...

Wow. I know you didn't write this with me in mind, but it certainly felt as if your words were intended just for me. I needed to be reminded of this message. I struggle with so much cynicism here...it's like a cloud that can suffocate you if there is no reminder of what lies outside the fog. I'm slowly coming around to the other side. It was great to read this. I'm sure you had this impact on several of your students as well.

Masood Ahmed said...

Ali: I felt rejuvinated to read your coments and felt satisfied.