Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Irrational son.

Why do I hurt my mother despite possessing ineffable love for her? I think the answer lies in my irrationality when it comes to my relation with my mother. I want to see her always happy. The sight of my mother being tense, sad or depressed shakes my world and I lose my sangfroid and try to make her happy instantly without realizing that she would naturally take some time to get out of her gloomy mood. I become extremely annoyed with whoever causes her bad mood. My extreme agitation affects my heart and brain and I start feeling pain. At this point my mother forgets her own pain, assures me that she is fine and asks me to be normal and there is absolutely nothing that she is worried about. When I hear her I should calm down but then I find myself in a vortex of emotions that keeps spinning my head. Seeing my condition my mother gets stressed and worried and there I feel utmost guilt that in the pursuit of making her happy I have inflicted pain on her. The guilt of causing pain to my mother further exasperates my condition. Finally after hours of talking, expressions of love for each other, promises of taking care of each other and hugging things start to normalize and my mother forgets her pain and smiles as I start my daily routine.
I know I do not deal with the normal swings of my mother’s mood in an emotionally intelligent way but despite my efforts to control my emotions, I lose my control over them and deny my mother her right to be sad, angry or depressed like any other normal human being.

2 comments:

Neihal said...

I guess you know where you are going wrong and you know how to set it right.... make a conscious effort to keep ur cool.

Actually I felt the same way for my parents, guess as we grow, we tend to become protective of our paretns, isnt it?
:)

Dawn said...

I think both are playing there sincere roles ...a mother is the one who doesnt want her kid to worry and the son is making sure to keep mom happy.
I have more respect now for you when I see you have high immense respect for women whether she is your mother, wife, sister or your student :) Masd you are a good soul that Allah has sent on earth. You are blessed.
Be as it is dont ever change
Cheers