Saturday, May 05, 2007

Keti Bandar.




On 3rd May 2007 the allure of the distant sea took me to the end of Pakistan in the south to the small port town of Keti Bandar. When I reached there I was convinced once again that fear of unknown lies in our mind not outside of it. I reached Gharo at 9 am where my Memon driver was waiting for me. Without wasting time we moved towards south on our way to Keti Bandar. Passing through the heart of Indus Delta we reached Keti Bandar around 12 noon. The first sight of the sea gave me the pleasure of finding a long lost friend. We entered the town and met Mr. Bukhari, a member of Fisher folk forum, who gave us remarkable hospitality beyond our expectation. The sea water all around us was actually the intrusion by the sea in the lands of Sindh. The intrusion is caused by the lack of flow of Indus river into the sea therefore sea water is gnawing the land each year. Where we saw the salty water of sea there once stood the crops of rice. I asked Mr. Bukhari to show us the roaring sea. He told us for that we had to travel on boats to enter the Arabian Sea. We embarked on a small boat called " Horo" in Sindhi. All the way we saw small islands on which the Debali community of fishermen lives. After travelling for half an hour we saw the high tides of Arabian Sea. We were about to enter into the open sea when I asked the boatman to return to Keti Bandar. After spending sometime there I left for Hyderabad and reached my home at 8 pm.

For more pictures visit my Fotoblog.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Awesome experience I would say....I hv never heard of this place...seems like beauty is hidden :)
loved the combi of sky n the dark water shades
Cheers

Brea said...

Are those stray dogs in the first picture?

Anonymous said...

hmm..someone;s been travelling. i soo need to get out from here myself!
regards

Masood Ahmed said...

Dawn: Yes indeed it is a hidden treasure..far away from the glare of media.
Brea: Yes, these were stray dogs.
Psyched: The trips get me out of my inertia and rejuvinate my whole self. Do go for even a short trip soon.