Monday, December 10, 2007

Sustainable Tourism....seems interesting.

So finally I am at the stage where I have to do my first Independent Study for my MS degree. I have started doing secondary research for my area of interest and it is Sustainable Tourism. In Sindh, what I have seen from my preliminary literature review, much has not been done in this area and I feel that if I do the research to find the potential and problems of ST it could become a seminal work for my PhD. ( I am right now thinking of terminating my studies at MS). The area on which I want to work is Nagar Parkar. It is a small town in the South East of Sindh surrounded by India from three sides. It has Karoonjhar Mountains in its back ground and scattered Jain temples on its plains. The local tourism potential is very high keeping in view the presence of natural and cultural tourist attractions. I have been to the area in 2000 and 2003 and have good local links there to pursue the research the only problem is that its more than 5 hours journey from Hyderabad. I want to work in this area but I am thinking to do my IS first in a near by area on the same topic and then if I things move in the same direction as I hope for than extend the research to cover Nagar Parkar for any funding organization. I am working for my research proposal and do want to get over it as soon as possible to actually start working on the research. It's going to be exciting but I have to keep a vigil on my habit of procrastination because this habit keeps popping its head too often.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

WOW! I only wish when will that be when I can explore Pak :)

Thanks for all the good information dear :)
Cheers

Keshi said...

Im not sure if I wanna visit Pak rite now...not becos of any prejudice but the recent violence freaked me out. Just like how it is in Sri Lanka...

But Im sure Pak is a beautiful country!


Keshi.

Anonymous said...

shukar hai someone's taking the step! our tourism industry is seriously understated. cover sindh then pls go on to cover the rest of pak. im into all this. wish i cud do more than just promote it thru a full fledged article on the visit pak '07 in an old issue. we seriously need to promote our tourism industry. not all of us realize its potential and that we are actually sitting on a goldmine!