Thursday, February 15, 2007

Son of the Sea

When I boarded the bus to come back to Hyderabad from Karachi his face struck me immediately. He had a very dark complexion that became starker due to his shocking green dress. The seat beside him was empty and there I sat. I asked him is he from Thar, the remote desert in the South East of Pakistan. He looked like a Thari but he replied no he is not from Thar. He was from a small village along River Indus in the north of Hyderabad, Sindh. He belonged to the community of fishermen known as Mallahs. Mallah literally means the boatman. He told me he was coming from the sea after fishing there for a month and going back to his village. I asked him about his life on sea and his eyes shined as he told me that the life on sea is wonderful. He spend nearly a month on sea catching fish. Fishing has been their livelihood since centuries. The take all the food on the boat and spend days and nights in open sea. During the nights they dance and sing. Finding me interested in his work he asked me to go along with him on a fish catching trip. I liked him, his simplicity and sincerity. He was the son of the sea. His dark complexion was the making of years of exposure to the heat of sun. I enjoyed his company and said good bye to him before getting off from the bus.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

So what about the invitation? Are you planning to go with him any time?
Didn't get what it was that you were looking for when you asked him if he was from Thar!!! Did you had any memory or anyone that you had known before????
This post seemed a bit incomplete...:)
Can be completed...what say?
Cheers

Neihal said...

Finally found you!!!
:))
my forced break from blogging meant I lost lots of blogs I was reading then , lost in transition. :D
When I saw ur comment at Dawn's, I was ecstatic :))
Now to the post.....well I have always been fascinated by fisherman. Their life is so different from ours. And yes I am Thari, but from the other side. :D

Masood Ahmed said...

Dawn: May be. As I have got his address and can contact him whenever I have time to go for few days with fishermen. Thar is the desert that has fascinated me always and I have great memories associated with it. Infact just after marriage the I went to Thar with my wife and spent full moon night in Nagar Parkar at the farthest corner of Pakistan in South east. Well as I have started blogging after a break my posts are not in a flow.

Neihal: Glad to see you as well. You are from Thar. I have been to Thar many times and found it still fascinating.