Sunday, June 24, 2007

38...so what!!!

Next month I will be 38 years old. When I look back at my last 10 years of life I find myself going through a lot of change. During these 10 years I have suffered set backs, endured difficult times, tasted defeats and passed through the phase of total abandonment by my so called close friends. The last decade has also given me some of the greatest happinesses of my life. I have become far more open, spontaneous, easygoing and carefree than what I was in 1997. I used to take everything very seriously and allow myself no margin of error. Hence I was very upright, fastidious and no-nonsense in dealing with people especially with students. I was respected but at the same time I was a lonely person. I used to wonder why any girl was not in my life. I was well educated, well placed, good looking yet I was a failure in the matter of love. I could talk for hours on current political issues, history, management, economics but couldn't engage a girl in a light conversation. One of my female colleague told me to read literature to understand the complexities of human relationships and particularly to understand female psychology because she felt I was too prudish. Literature didn't help me much to understand the female psychology what helped me most were women themselves. When I started listening to my female colleagues, to my cousins, to my girl students, I found that what women want is understanding of their emotions. All my credentials worth nothing when it comes to winning the heart of a woman because I knew only how to involve the brain and didn't know how to engage the heart. It was big eye opener for me. The transformation of my personality started and I became slowly more open and relaxed. Life became easy for me and I started enjoying my work more. The change in my personality didn't come quickly and easily and it took many years before I was able to get out of the confinement of a nice, perfect and infallible image that I had locked myself into. Then love of my life came. My poem roller coaster describes my sentiments.

Roller Coaster

"I am flawed, erratic and moody
yet you hold my hand all along
not knowing where I would lead you
sometimes we soar as if never to fall
when I become quiet, you wait for my call
my life is like a roller coaster
Love entered in my life when I stopped being perfect
and it was then you told me " I love to ride on a roller coaster.

I am not what I was in 1997 and I will be not what I am today in 2017. I have seen many of my dreams gone shattered and many new dreams come alive. I have met scores of beautiful, intelligent and remarkable women, read rich literature from Kundera to Murakami, travelled to remote and rugged places in Sindh, captured marvellous natural scenes in my camera, listened to intellectual giants and savored quality food during the last decade especially during last 5 years.

I feel young, 38 doesn't describe me. "Cheeni Kum."

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Happy birthday in advance!!! keep rocking....tht shd be the attitude :)
Cheers

Anonymous said...

first of all...apologies for my prolonged absence from ur blog...having masla getting to the comments page whenever i go get to visit...remnants of the blogger glitch earlier...khair...hopefully, i can get back to being a regular visitor.

and now on to the post..........UR 38?????????????? and a blogger?????????am floored!
now i know how those women/relationship related comments and advices made so much sense! :) im impressed with the fact that u actually went out of the ur way to learn more about women psyches :)
so happy bday, and best wishes!

Ali Ambrosio said...

Happy early birthday. I loved this post, what it revealed about the subtle changes that have made you who you are today, the person that we get to know a bit through your writings.

I especially liked the roller coaster poem. Very fitting for finding a partner who is in it for the long run, through ups and downs and, especially, imperfections.

Masood Ahmed said...

@dawn: Thanks.
@ Psyched: The efforts I put to understand women's psychology didn't go unrewarded. I have made very good friends and found my love.
@Ali: Thanks for liking my poem.
P.S My birthday is on July 10. Thanks to all.