Thursday, March 16, 2006

Two nights.....60 years apart

Last night I felt immense peace and calm as if everything was in harmony. While lying on my bed my thoughts took me away in the past and I imagined the night of September 1947 when my father, at that time 23 year old, was crossing into Pakistan from India at the time of partition in the train that was attacked many a times during its travel from Delhi. At that time what mattererd most was the survival. The passing of each moment safely was an achievement. The covering of each yard of the distance from Pakistan was a feat. It was the night of doubts, anxiety, fear and apprehension. Time passed......a night in 2006....his son now a grown up man, felt peace and calm around him.....and missed his father who passed away couple of years ago....and thought about his struggle and his love at the same time and said to him in simple words " I owe to you this night of peace and calm."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An amazing tribute. Nicely said.

:)

Dawn said...

Inna Lillahi wa inna elaihi rajewoon
Very touching! tears came out with the words..."I owe to you this night of peace and calm",
I can only feel how ur father must have felt that time...and how you feel now just when he is not around you..!!
May his soul rest in peace (ameen)