Saturday, May 06, 2006

Among the intellegentsia

Whenever I feel frustrated by the lack of opportunities to indulge in intellectual discussions I take refuge in the cyberspace. I knock the doors of eminent writers, enter their homes, listen to them and savor their words as if they are the drops of honey. I completely lose the sense of time and space while I am in their company. Today I have come to know about some of the great literary minds and now I look forward to reading their books. I am give credit to Chandrahas Choudhury for becoming my guide to the literary world of cyberspace. His blog The Middle Stage is one of the finest blogs on literature. Today I met Nepalese writer Samrat Upadhyay. He has written short stories as well as a novel. I am fond of reading novels so I will be ordering his novel The Guru of Love from Liberty Books. (In Hyderabad I hardly find latest books in English literature so I have to rely on my visits to Karachi or on online shopping.) Next in the line was William Trevor. The rendezvous took place at BBC website. He was a sculptor but then fell for his love for words. If you do what you are passionate about you are bound to excel. I have not yet decided which of Trevor's book I will read. Apart from these two writers I read about other writers and their books. During the reading I kept picking up new words for building the vocabulary. Oh!! I love words as they are the pebbles I play with and and I want lots of them. Before I finish I want to mention about another writer whose books are among the top of my list for future reading. Eduardo Galeano is the writer from Uruguay. I like to know about history, culture and politics of land in fiction and it seems Galeano has produced some work that is exactly what I want to read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a fellow word lover.....I feel your passion for the written word, and after reading some of your personal posts, I think with your keen sense of vision for seeing what others can not or choose not to see, you will excel as a writer yourself! My blog is designated to literature and is called Word Up! if you want to check it out you can find it at http://karpophoreo-opora.blogspot.com/

Keshi said...

good on ya!

Keshi.