Monday, February 20, 2006

Raheela Gul: Daring Woman of Pakistan.

I had never met Raheela or seen her picture when I came to know from Yunus Thakur about a girl who was doing a travel document on Thar desert for Geo TV. I was excited. Thar desert carries a magnetic appeal for me. I always wanted to make a documentary on Thar desert especially on Nagar Parkar and Karonjhar mountain. Thakur told me about the documentary because he knew about my passion for Thar. He was a member of the team of Raheela for the Thar expedition. I was genuinely interested to know about the girl who was capturing the eastern desert of Pakistan. Thakur was all praise for her...he told me that she was a real professional . I told him ....hey I wanna meet her because I wanted to see the adventure lady who aspired to travel to the places which had always fascinated me. Time kept passing and then in the morning of October 8' 2005 news started coming in from Islamabad that a major earth quake had struck Pakistan. All the T.V channels in Pakistan were showing the scenes of a collapsed building of Margalla Towers. Little did I know at that time that beneath the wreckage lied daring woman of Pakistan Raheela Gul. The person whom I wanted to meet. I was shocked when news came in that the body of Raheela Gul was found in the rubble. I searched for information about her on net and found that she was in Islamabad for the arrangements for her upcoming adventure tour of Amazon, South America. She was staying in Margalla Towers and was about to leave for Lahore when that fateful moment came that took away multitudes of precious lives. Geo TV is now telecasting Raheela's adventurous trip entitled Tharparkar say Rohi tak.Raheela!! I never met you but I know we would have been friends.

4 comments:

Trailady said...

Sounds like she was an amazing woman with a wonderful spirit. A sad loss indeed!

Anonymous said...

Its Sad indeed.. I just got to know who Raheela Gul is & now after few hours I have been told shes no more! Its just so sad. I still cant believe that, very hard to imagine for me. I was particularly interested in Raheela's trekking adventure to Cholistan(Rohi) from Tharparkar. I am originally from Rohi & I definitely can picture how difficult, challenging & yet enjoyable trip she has had as crossing the whole desert from Thar to Rohi is not a child's play. I salute her bravery, passion & great contribution towards Women triumph & integrity. She indeed is pride of Pakistan. May Allah give her peach, & her soul may rest in. Amen

Anonymous said...

I saw the whole series of the amazing adventure program
"TharParKar Say Rohi Tak" on GEO TV in UK. It was exceptionally well made and I was very impressed with the personality of the young presenter Raheela Gul. She was like a beacon of light in the wilderness and desolation of the harsh desert.
When I read that she was an unfortunate victim of the major earth quake which struck Pakistan on the morning of October 8/2005 I was immensely sad. The world lost a daring young woman and all of us are deprived of the pleasure of watching further adventures of this really talented lady.
I guess God must have loved her very much. They say 'Only the good die young'. I just pray that God will bless her soul and may she rest in eternal peace.

Anonymous said...

What would have been a loss to the people in the world, compared to us the family member. Raheela Gul, she was my Fathers sister, and more than a friend to me. I never took her as a Aunt (Phuppo), as the love i had been given by her, cannot be explained in words. The deep sorrow in everyones heart is so Real, that you really can't forget someone so easily, especially the ones who did mean alot to you in life. Always there with us.
She was the one who did set an example for the other ambitious and passionate females. Thats what she told me once.
That Haseeb you just see, You will soon see my name in Gunniess Book Of World Record.
Hence all things were kept unfulfilled. Besides the great success Thar Par Kar'
I still remember the whole 1 Month i spent with her inmy vacations. That was a perfect summer, a person can have with a Aunt Friend
Today lets all pray for her soul to rest in peace (ameen).
And may her grave be filled with the winds and gardens of Heaven.
I still can't forget the way u sang me The Birthday Song on the phone on 7th Oct. A day before you death.
Love you Loads