Saturday, February 25, 2006

Ride to unknown

In the evening I took out my bike and picked up Z and said to him, "Let's go." He asked where???...dont ask just come with me..as at that time I had no idea myself where to go..I just wanted to get out to some place where I was away from the mess of the city .....he like always was ready for another ride to unknown......I decided to go straight towards airport road.....(yes, there is an airport in Hyderabad, closed for so long now) and up we went on the rise that is called Ganju Tikkar ( the bald mountain) towards CATI ( Civil Aviation Training Institute) on the left was Sindh Regimental Centre (HQ for Pak Army's Sindh Regiment) the road was narrow but in good condition and the surrounded by arid land. We kept moving straight till we passed Kohsar Housing Scheme and found the splendid scene down there where green lush fields were present and the sun was about to set, just across the fields we could see the glittering water of River Indus. I thought to go down near the fields and watch the sun set. We went down a steep decline towards the fields. There we found a young guy of listening to Sindhi music on the radio. We went to him and he told us his name was Ali Hassan Chuttu. I practiced my Sindhi after long time. I have always felt that I speak better Sindhi whenever I am talking to a peasant than to any one of my Sindhi friends here in the city. It may be because I become conscious or feel being judged..... whatever but at that time it was a smooth talking in Sindhi. He told me about the expanding city that was threatening to gulp his small village. He knew it was inevitable as the lush green field was already purchased by the builders for another housing scheme. I felt bad but he told me that water scarcity was another cause of the selling of lands to builder. Another village would be extinct soon. Sun was about to set. We said good bye to Ali Hassan Chuttu as we watched sunset beyond the green fields.

1 comment:

balihai said...

hey! just read your entry. am doing some research on ganju tikkar. need help!